Sunday, August 7, 2016

Planning for an Organized Classroom

One week before my classroom is filled with noise and excitement as we kick off another school year.  I made some changes last year to help keep the class running smoother and shifting some of the work and responsibilities for that to my students.  Surprisingly, it went better than I expected.  Here are a few of my organization tips that made a big difference: 

          1.  Bins
 
We’ve all seen the funny pictures showing how student desks get smaller while students (and their stuff) gets larger.  After years of listening to calculators, rulers, pencils, etc. hit the floor, I decided to add a little extra storage to each desk.  I saw these bins at Big Lots, two for $1.30, and took the plunge.  I became an instant celebrity during pre-planning with a number of teachers going out and getting them too.  We were all concerned with how they would hold up to 125 – 160 students per day, and were all thrilled at the end of the year.  I personally lost two bins to damage, but feel that fault lies with me for installation error.  I used zip (cable) ties and found using 3-4 for each basket keeps it stable.  My students also kept these fairly clean – they did not turn into mini trash baskets!
  

          2.  Pick-up Station

              
 

 
Distributing papers can seem like a never ending job, so the pick-up station was my way of getting students to help.  It took less than a week for them to become accustomed to picking up their own handouts at the beginning of class.  I added a line to my daily agenda on the board called “Pick-ups” and would write the number of pick-ups for that day next to it.  This also had the wonderful side benefit of me not having to hear “but you didn’t give it to me” anymore.  Love it!

 
          3.  Turn In Station

              
              

The reverse of the pick-up station, students were responsible for handing in their work in the appropriate drop-off bin.  Another time saver that increased student responsibility.  I recently saw a wonderful idea on Squarehead Teachers Blog where they had a laminated paper on top of the turn in basket reminding students to check that their name is on it, all questions answered, etc. with directions to put their paper under the reminder sheet.  A great reminder that also reduces “peeking” at someone else’s paper. 
         
 

          4.  Absent Work Station 

I’ve had a variation of it for years, but with the other stations added, it seems like I heard a lot less of “what did I miss” last year.  Now if we could just eliminate “do I have to make up what I missed yesterday?” I’d be a happy camper.

 
          5.  Homework Parking Lot

          

       
 
Something good finally came out of all those faculty meetings and trainings – my homework parking lot.  Students put up the number of any homework questions they want to review before the start of class each day.  That gives me an opportunity to get ready to review them after attendance and before students finish their daily warm-ups. 

I hope you find some inspiration and ideas from a few of my favorite things for classroom organization.  I’d love to hear what is working in your classroom.

 
Happy teaching!
 
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment