Monday, September 19, 2016

Math Homework - Love it or Hate it?


It’s one of the hot topics today.  Homework or no homework?  How much homework?  Everyday?  Some days?  On weekends?  Grade it? Check it?  The list goes on and on.
 
 

I fall into the pro-homework for math category.  After thirteen years of teaching I’ve heard all the excuses, moans, groans, blame game, temper tantrums, and reasoning.  And that’s just from other educators.  Bring the kids and parents into the discussion and it gets even more interesting.  I am not a homework for the sake of homework teacher.  But, I feel strongly that students need to practice math skills in order to become fluent in them and there is not enough time during the school day for this.  I honestly wish there was practice time each day and no homework was necessary.  In our present secondary system, not only do I not see that happening, I see the problem getting worse. 

At the beginning of my teaching career I had an opportunity to attend a class taught by a “soon to be retired” high school administrator.  They are the best instructors of teachers because they have seen it all, done it all, and at this point in their careers, are willing to spill it all.  Early in the class he handed out a chart (which I really wish I had kept) showing that public education between the late 1800’s and late1940’s were essentially responsible for teaching children about 20 things.  There were the normal academics, but also lessons on friendship, manners, civic responsibilities, etc.  Between the 1950’s and 1990, that list grew to include over 130 teaching responsibilities (think drugs, alcohol, drivers ed, nutrition, stranger danger, etc.).  He predicted (in 1994) that we would easily top 200 in the next 20 years.  If all of these “new” teaching responsibilities are completed within the same school day/school year, it stands to reason that the amount of time spent on the 3 R’s has dramatically decreased.  As a parent, I totally get it when they tell me “you have them in school for “x” hours each day, why can’t this be done during that time”, but the reality is I don’t have enough math minutes each day to give students a solid understanding of the concept and then allow them enough time to practice the concept to create fluency.   

I do try to give my classes about 10 minutes at the end of each class to start on the assignment.  My thinking in doing that is I can pick up any questions or misconceptions the kids have before they go home.  I am not expecting any parent to teach the math – I have already done that during class and all students should be heading home with solid notes and a portion of the assignment done.  A more recent problem I have been encountering is students opting to not use this class time for the intended purpose.  Many seem to feel it is “their choice” whether to start the assignment or not.  Renaming it classwork/homework did not make a difference.  Lately I’ve taken a page from Sheldon’s mom on Big Bang Theory and say “I’m sorry, did I start those directions with the phrase if it pleases your royal highness?”  The majority of my kids are Big Bang fans and since I say it with a smile they laugh, sometimes toss in an eye roll (just to assure me they haven’t been switched out with a clone), and pick up the book and start on the assignment.   

I’ve seen recent media stories about teachers declaring the end of homework in their class.  Typically these are elementary teachers and I have no problem with that.  They typically have more flexibility in schedules and can have a kid that needs more time continue working on the assignment because they know they will need less time in another area.  Homework is also less beneficial to elementary students than secondary students according to the most recent studies on the subject.  I do have a problem with secondary teachers making the declaration by stating that students only need to finish their classwork at home if they didn’t get it done in class.  I’ve seen first-hand the length of some of those classwork assignments and doubt many children could complete them in the allotted time.  If you know you consistently give more classwork than can be done in class, so students technically do have homework, it is just semantics at best, pandering at its worst to declare your class “homework free”.   

Like many of you, I grew up with homework.  I didn’t love it, but also there were times that I didn’t hate it and felt I was learning from it.  If the studies on the amount of time today’s teens spend on social media is even remotely true, they obviously do have time to do homework.   The most recent American Time Use Survey that I have seen (April, 2016) showed that high school boys spend almost 3 hours each weekday on social media (non-educational) and girls spent almost 2 hours a day compared with both groups spending about 6.5 hours each weekday on attending school and homework.  The social media numbers do not include watching television and movies, which accounted for approximately another 1.5 hours each day.     

That’s a whole lot of opportunity time.  Another 15-20 minutes of practice each school day might be more beneficial and valuable to our students in the long term.  Not a random number of problems, but practice that reinforces necessary skills taught in the classroom.  I agree with keeping holidays and breaks family time, and do not assign homework or projects during these times.  How about you?  Do you assign homework?  How much and how often?  Does it benefit or hurt the students? 

Happy teaching!

 
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Positively-Pre-algebra-Plus


 

No comments:

Post a Comment