Sunday, September 4, 2016

The Storm


If you’re on the east coast of the United States or Hawaii, “the storm” seems literal to you right now.  I was not and am not in the path of any of the hurricanes (thankfully), but please know that those of you who are or may be are in my thoughts and prayers.  Today I am referring to the classroom storm that always seems to brood early in the school year.  You know, the shine is off and their best behavior has reverted to their typical behavior.  Throw in all the “we’re going on vacation” notes and notifications I received last week, the excuses why homework is not done and cannot be done (they have a life after all), parents protecting their kids from responsibility and consequences, sickness, unscheduled days off, the whines, staff meetings and training sessions, plus the inevitable piles of paperwork, constant classroom interruptions, schedule changes, meetings, assemblies, and administrative dictates.  The not so perfect storm.
 
 
 
So mighty educators, what do we do?  We soldier on.  We do our jobs and continue with the academic pace that will get our students where they need to go not necessarily where they want to be.  We hold the line and refuse to lower academic expectations not because it is easy or fun (quite the opposite).  We do it because that is what our students truly need to ensure their future success and happiness in life.  We go in and teach math every day because it is important.  It matters.
 
The beginning and end of each year seems to be when I second guess my career choice.  Not necessarily teaching, but teaching math at the secondary level.  I look fondly at other subjects who get a lighter curriculum load and “fun” days.  I truly believe that math is fun, but it is hard to get there some days when everything and everyone seems to be screaming the opposite message.  No weekly movie days in my class.  No field trips to go bowling, shopping, or just hanging out.  I’ve had students who were laughing and enjoying themselves throughout the entire class tell me with a snarl as they were leaving “I know you snuck math into my brain when I thought I was having fun in here today.  My brain hurts with all the math you stuffed in”.  Really?  That makes me the bad guy??

My solution the past few years has been to ramp up student engagement and movement in my classroom.  Sorry reading teachers, but I’ve banned your books this year in my class and added an early finishers corner where students can pick a fun math activity to do instead.  I’m rotating and adding activities to keep if fresh.  The grumbles ended quickly and students look happy selecting an activity to fill any extra time in math class.  Plus, they are learning that math is FUN too!  Maybe they will also pick up that math is not just for the classroom. 

Early Finishers set up - it's already been expanded!

I also have my student moving – a lot.  Middle schoolers have many talents, but I have found they can’t fall asleep if you keep them moving both intellectually and physically.  This year all my classes are advanced meaning that we cover two to three years of math in one.  Unscheduled vacations, mental health days, field trips, and movie days don’t stand a chance with this curriculum.  While my darlings think they are being covert, I am aware that they are tracking the longest period that our seats stay the same (three days so far) with delight.  The moaning and groaning are for show and they are enjoying the journey for now.  I hear them shouting to each other in the hall “hey, it’s a walk-about today”, “looks like a partner activity”, or “Great! A new scavenger hunt”, or my personal favorite “I don’t know, but it looks interesting in there today”.  Keep them guessing and keep them working.  That’s my motto for now.
 
I posted this and let them guess what tootling was for a few days...

 
So my friends, this storm will pass.  The sun will shine again.  There will be days when everyone is in class and hopefully want to be in class.  New and exciting adventures are ahead for us and our students when we continue to teach.  No matter how you style your lessons, set-up your rooms, or run your classroom, remember that learning cannot occur without teaching.  The better the teaching the better the learning.  

 
Teach on and find your happy place!


https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Positively-Pre-algebra-Plushttps://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Positively-Pre-algebra-Plus
 

No comments:

Post a Comment